How we began
Until the early 1900s, Ballyholme was a small townland set apart from Bangor. By the 1920s and 1930s, the area grew rapidly along with the realisation that a new church was needed to serve families in the area.
The work of the church formally began in 1939, when the Right Reverend J. Irvine Peacocke, D.D., Bishop of Derry and Raphoe, laid the foundation stone of St Columbanus Parish Church, Ballyholme.
Ballyholme church is dedicated to Saint Columbanus, the most famous missionary Saint educated at Bangor Abbey. In the 6th Century he travelled across Europe to bring Christianity to many places, e.g., Bregenz, Austria which is now twinned with Bangor. The name of Columbanus is widely revered across Europe.
St Columbanus Parish Church is now an important part of the Christian Heritage Trail in Bangor, County Down. Follow the section links to learn about our story so far ...